2013年1月11日 星期五

Why was Popeye on Google home page?

A while ago I saw that Popeye's likeness was on google's home page, why? my curiosity was stated as soon as I hovered my mouse over the image to discover a tool tip that explained to me that it was infactE.C. Segar's birthday. Born some 115 years ago.

For those that don't knowE.C. Segar was the creator of the much loved character.

Elzie Crisler Segarborn in Illinois, US, on 8 December 1894 might not be a household name, but thecreator has become the most recent person to be honoured with his ownGoogle Doodle.

Segar was a newspaper cartoonist, Popeye was first seen in Segars comic strip Thimble Theater, starring the sailor, his unhealthily thin girlfriend Olive Oyl, her brother Castor Oyl, and, eventually, their hamburger-loving friend Wimpy, and Popeyes rival for Olive, the larger than life Bluto.

Spinach is the source of Popeye's muscular energy when he would eat it, his biceps immediately swell to three times their normal size.due to an 1870 German study which claimed it contained the same amount of iron as red meat. Theproperties were later revised after it was found a miss-placed decimal point had led researchers to believe the vegetable contained ten times its actual iron content.

If Popeye was around today you would more than likely see him tucking into a Vindaloo. Curry powder contains 58 mg of iron per serving. If you make a meat dish with curry powder, you will get an iron-rich meal.

Most people remember theseries of cartoons of the 1930's that were made by the great animator Dave Fleischer. Some folks might also remaember The film adaptation which starred Robin Williams as the Spinach consumingplucky sailor.

Google also recently celebrated Ghandi as well as the anniversary of Sesame Street. to find more of Google's special event logos. They have a permanent posting of them here

(Source:doodle4google )

Google doodles, the drawings that are designed on, around and through the Google logo on our home page, are the creation of 30-year-old Google Webmaster Dennis Hwang. Since Dennis began celebrating and marking worldwide events and holidays with his doodles in 2000, his work has been seen by millions and reached cult status, with fans waiting with bated breath to see his next creation, and even websites and blogs devoted to his work. We spoke to Dennis about his doodles and how he got his ideal job:

Most people have to choose only one of their interests to pursue. How did you get such a cool job that meshes computers and art?I had an internship with Google in college. I was given the task of helping with maintenance of the website and I soon became an assistant webmaster. Before I joined Google, the founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin were already thinking about holiday logos...and when I joined, they knew I was studying art and suggested I should give it a shot. I've been doing it since then as my 20% project."Are you constantly trying to keep up with current events and holidays?How far I work in advance depends. Sometimes, we react really quickly to current events. When the Mars Rover landed, I created a logo in less than 24 hours. For all of the international countries, if there's a special day and we think it's in line with the Google brand, we want to commemorate it."Do you get suggestions from Google users?I get quite a lot of suggestions from users. We're reall y open to user feedback and having ideas sent to us because our users are really creative. For example, a French astronomer had emailed us about the Venus Transit, in which Venus casts a shadow on the sun every 122 years. During the transit, you'll see a black dot moves across the sun, sohere is what I drew."How do you decide on the design of the drawings?First, I do a lot of brainstorming, search for images on Google, and absorb all the imagery. Then I apply a design that interacts with letters. I find that a bit more interesting."Do you have favorite doodles?I have several favorites. Usually, artists' birthdays are the ones I spend the most effort on, like Monet's birthday."How difficult is it to reinvent recurring holidays?It's definitely a challenge, but it's one I look forward to. I've been doing this for quite a while and need to come up with fresh ideas every year. There's only so many ways to draw a turkey or a pumpkin!"



???????

沒有留言:

張貼留言